Statement on Race and Diversity
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics faculty, students, and staff affirm a commitment to protect and nurture, first and foremost, the mental and physical well-being of each member of our community. A core value of our department is a commitment to diversity, which connotes an awareness and acceptance of the value and strength derived from engaging the richness of multiple cultures including race, disabilities, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and skin color, among other attributes. The full potential and impact of our scholarship, teaching and learning, knowledge creation, innovation, and service can only be realized in an environment where people are supported and valued for their humanity, without prejudice, and where inclusion, collaboration, and sharing are core principles.
The Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics is committed to advancing the inclusion of underrepresented minorities and women in our community of faculty, students, and staff. We are cognizant of the Institute’s goals of the 2004 faculty resolution to increase the number of underrepresented minority and women graduate students and the 2010 Report of the Initiative on Faculty Race and Diversity. We affirm our commitment to these goals and recommendations.
Pursuant to our commitment and goals, the department will appoint and support the AeroAstro Faculty, Student, and Staff Standing Committee on Race and Diversity, reporting to the department head, to develop action plans to protect and nurture the mental and physical well-being of each member of our community, to increase the inclusion of underrepresented minorities and women, and to address other such opportunities as appropriate.
AeroAstro Diversity, Inclusion, and Innovation Committee
- Hamsa Balakrishnan, Associate Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Corey Frontin, AeroAstro graduate student
- Wesley Harris, C.S. Draper Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (co-chair)
- Stewart Isaacs, AeroAstro graduate student
- Sabrina Khan, AeroAstro undergraduate student
- William Litant, Communications Director
- Beth Marois, Graduate Program Administrator
- Rebecca Masterson, Senior Research Scientist
- Dava Newman, Apollo Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (co-chair)
- Brían O'Conaill, Administrative Officer
- Cadence Brea Payne, AeroAstro graduate student
- Nicholas Roy, R.L. Bisplinghoff Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Beata Shuster, Administrative Assistant