MIT Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics faculty, students, and staff affirm a commitment to protect and nurture, first and foremost, the mental and physical wellbeing of each member of our community. Respect for, and full engagement of, all races, genders, religions, ethnicities, and sexual orientations form the foundation of our behavior and our commitment to diversity and inclusion. The full potential and impact of our scholarship, teaching and learning, knowledge creation, innovation, and service can only be realized in an environment where each member is supported and valued for her/his humanity, without prejudice, and where inclusion, collaboration, and sharing are core principles.
The Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics is committed to advancing the inclusion of underrepresented minorities and women in our community of faculty, students, and staff. We are cognizant of the Institute’s goals of the 2004 faculty resolution to increase the number of underrepresented minority and women graduate students and the 2010 Report of the Initiative on Faculty Race and Diversity. We affirm our commitment to these goals and recommendations.
Pursuant to our commitment and goals, the department has appointed and supports the AeroAstro Committee on Diversity, Inclusion and Innovation, reporting to the department head, to develop action plans to protect and nurture the mental and physical well-being of each member of our community, to increase the inclusion of underrepresented minorities and women, and to address other such opportunities as appropriate.
AeroAstro Committee on Diversity, Inclusion and Innovation
- Hamsa Balakrishnan, Associate Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Cory Frontin, graduate student
- Madeline K. Garcia, undergraduate student
- Wesley Harris, C.S. Draper Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (co-chair)
- Stewart Isaacs, graduate student
- William Litant, Communications Director
- Beth Marois, Graduate Program Administrator
- Dava Newman, Apollo Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (co-chair)
- Brían O'Conaill, Administrative Officer
- Cadence Brea Payne, graduate student
- Nicholas Roy, R.L. Bisplinghoff Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Beata Shuster, Administrative Assistant
- Marie Stuppard, Academic Program Administrator
Contact the MIT AeroAstro Diversity, Inclusion and Innovation Committee